The Hunger Games, based on Suzanne Collins‘ bestselling novel and starring Jennifer Lawrence, Liam Hemsworth, and Josh Hutcherson took in a whopping $155 million in its opening weekend.
Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill‘s comedy 21 Jump Street took second place, bringing in $21.3 million this weekend.
Third place went to Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax, which features the voices of Taylor Swift and Zac Efron. The animated movie brought in $13.1 million this weekend.
Fourth place went to Taylor Kitsch‘s John Carter, which earned just over $5 million. Act of Valor came in 5th this week, with $2 million.
- Hunger Games Wins Massive $155 Million Box Office Weekend (inquisitr.com)
- ‘The Hunger Games’ Scores $155 Million At Weekend Box Office (huffingtonpost.com)
- ‘The Hunger Games’ Weekend Box Office: $155 Million (news.moviefone.com)
- Weekend Box Office – THE HUNGER GAMES Hits $155 Million for Third Highest Opening of All Time! (collider.com)
- ‘Hunger Games’ Sets Non-Sequel Revenue Record With $155M Opening Weekend (losangeles.cbslocal.com)
- Box Office Roundup: The Hunger Games is a Record Setter (screencrave.com)